Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Spiced Lamb with Pomegranate Yoghurt

This recipe was in a recent Australian Women's Weekly magazine (for New Zealand women and published monthly ! ) I love middle eastern flavours, the gentle flavour of cumin and paprika. I really love pomegranate molasses - especially as a marinade for salmon. I thought this would taste really good, but found it slightly disappointing. If I make it again I will increase the amount of molasses in the mince to 1 tbsp. The yoghurt sauce was really good, but I had changed that too...

Spiced Lamb with Pomegranate Yoghurt

500g lamb mince
1 clove garlic - finely chopped
1 medium tomato - seeded and chopped finely
1 tsp pomegranate molasses
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp dried mint leaves - I used fresh
1 tsp dried oregano - I used fresh

1/2 cup thick Greek-style yoghurt
1 tsp sumac
2 tsp pomegranate molasses extra
1/4 cup fresh mint - finely shredded - I had used all the mint, so I used a good tbsp of a mint chutney I had made last year. (Adapted from the Pickle and Chutney Cookbook by Digby Law)

Combine the lamb and spices with freshly ground black pepper and salt.
Form into patties.
Cook over medium-high heat until cooked through and browned.

Combine yoghurt, sumac, extra pomegranate molasses and half the fresh mint.

Serve patties with yoghurt mixture sprinkled with the rest of the fresh mint.

I bought these tortillas at the supermarket this week. I've never tried tortillas - even pre-coeliac diagnosis, so I didn't have any pre-conceived notions of what they would taste like... which is good, because they taste like cardboard. I threw most of them to the birds this morning and interestingly, they are not much interested in them either!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy, deliciousness - wonderful flavors happening here!

Anonymous said...

Exactly! Exactly! Exactly! Me too with the same tortillas tonight at the supermarket! I've never been a pre tortilla fan either but we had curry and though I could use them instead of naan. BIG mistake.