Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Mint Chutney

Digby Law was a New Zealand chef who sadly, died far too early, some years ago. This recipe is adapted from his book Digby Law's Pickle and Chutney Cookbook. He described it as 'Strong and superb, use it sparingly in lamb sandwiches, with barbecued lamb, with lamb burgers or with roast lamb.' This recipe book is one of my favourites, full of wonderful and unusual recipes - perfect for someone like me, who loves preserving food. I get such a thrill from having all the jars full and the pantry shelves groaning... (I have made this chutney both as Digby Law wrote it, using malt vinegar, and this way - it is unquestionably better in the original, but it is not gluten free - so I have had to change it - I hope he wouldn't mind)... and it is still really, really good.

Mint Chutney

250g fresh mint leaves - this is a huge amount of mint, I picked all season, freezing it as I went until I finally had enough
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
125g raisins
50g fresh ginger - sliced
25g garlic - sliced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup cold cider vinegar
1 cup hot cider vinegar

Blitz the mint leaves in a food processor until finely chopped
Add the dry ingredients and whizz until well chopped
Add the cold vinegar and whizz until smooth
Put the paste into a bowl and add the hot vinegar
Allow to cool and spoon into small jars and seal.

No comments: