Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Selfish, Inconsiderate Bastards!

The people renting the house over our back fence had another party.... they started at 8:30pm and got more and more noisy. No sleep was being had in this house. At 4am I called the noise police, who visited them and shut down the party. Next time, I won't wait so long. I wish we lived in the country.


Honey Chilli Chicken

1.5kg Chicken pieces
rice flour or cornflour
salt
oil for deep frying - though you don't actually need to do this - just bake the chicken, tip the sauce over and cook til the sauce is thick - easier and healthier :-)
2.5cm (1inch) piece of fresh ginger
2 tbsp honey
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp chilli sauce - I made so much this summer, that I have to use it. But, at this rate I won't need to make any next year!
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tsp gluten-free soy sauce (I use Tamari)

Coat chicken pieces in flour that has been seasoned with salt.
Fry chicken in oil (or not - just bake it)
Put a little oil in a pot.
Add peeled and grated ginger and fry gently for a minute
Add honey, stir for a minute.
Add combined water, chilli sauce, lemon juice and soy sauce.
Stir until sauce boils.
Pour over the chicken.
Sprinkle thinly sliced spring onions on top and cook a little more
This is really good, even cold, straight from the fridge at 2am - if it's good enough for Nigella ...

Note to Self: The original recipe called for Chinese Chilli Sauce, which I didn't have. My own chilli sauce is quite mild and I would add some chilli flakes next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha ha. Sorry to laugh about the noisy neighbours but that is precisely why we sold up and moved out of Takapuna to Kaukapakapa in the country. I HATE noisy neighbours that party right outside your bedroom till early hours of the morning! GRRRRR See, you can see that I am still traumatised by it and it was 5 years ago!