Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Teriyaki Chicken

Black food doesn't photograph as well as it tastes - or is that just me? I have so much to learn...
This recipe comes from Ruth Pretty. Ruth, and husband Paul, run a catering company at Te Horo - an hour north of Wellington (and an hour south of here). They also run cooking classes, which I sometimes am lucky enough to attend. They have the most gorgeous set-up, are hugely successful and are just really nice people. Check out http://www.ruthpretty.co.nz/ This recipe came from one of her classes - I don't think she'll mind if I share it...

Teriyaki Chicken

1 tbsp salad oil
600 - 800g (6) chicken thigh (skin on)
15 mls (1 tbsp) sake (rice wine)
60 mls (4 tbsp) soy sauce (I used gluten-free tamari)
60 mls (4 tbsp) mirin
20g (2 tbsp) sugar

Heat oil in a frying pan.
Place chicken in pan, skin side down and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until skin is crisp.
Turn chicken over, cover pan and cook for a further 5 minutes, shaking pan frequently.
Remove chicken from pan and discard the oil.
In the same frying pan, bring sake, soy sauce, mirin and sugar to the boil.
Return chicken to pan, skin side upwards and simmer in sauce with lid on for about 5 minutes, or until completely cooked through.



Remove chicken from sauce. Cut into slices about 1cm thick and pour sauce over meat.
Serve hot, warm or cold.
I licked the plate :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved that you licked the plate! :-)

"Susan Says..." said...

Janet, the food looks great but this is about the footage I saw tonight of that awful earthquake in NZ....are you anywhere near that? I hope you are safe....

Bodacious Boomer said...

Hi kiddo. If I ever have time to cook again, I'll be sure to give this a try.