Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Individual Meringues

I have a friend who, when I ask her to dinner, says she will come, but only if I make Eton Mess for dessert. It is so easy to make that I always agree. It is supposed to be made with softly whipped cream, crumbled meringues and strawberries - all mixed up. I like to make it with softened ice-cream in place of  the cream, and you can use any kind of fruit - banana and passionfruit is a good combination...

4 egg whites
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp white vinegar
2 tsp cornflour
1 dstsp boiling water

Beat the egg whites until they stand up in peaks.
Add the caster sugar in four lots, beating all the time and beating well between each addition. The mixture should be thick and stiff - like a very thick marshmallow.
Add the rest of the ingredients and beat in, adding the water last.
Place in heaped tablespoonsful onto a lined baking tray.
Bake for 30 minutes at 120c
Remove from the oven and place on a cake rack until cold.
Store in an airtight tin

1 comment:

"Susan Says..." said...

Eton Mess? That sounds so delicious that I feel weak...and what a perfect lo-fat binge if the need arises....I loe bananas but think I might just stick with berries. Why is it called "Eton Mess?"

And if I were to get a tattoo, it would probably be a cat, too.