Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Can you believe it?

Apparently there are people in this world who don't like coriander (cilantro)!  If that's you, you'd best leave now - there's quite a lot of coriander coming up...
 We had our annual family reunion a little while ago. I had been unwell for a couple of months and had lost a lot of weight. Though I felt like a piece of chewed string - I thought I was also looking a bit skinny.... a cousin sent me a photo today...sigh... I need another bout of galloping gutrot, because there is more weight to lose... please... So, salad

Guacamole Salad (What's not to love?)

Avocado - peeled, stone removed, finely sliced
Tomatoes - sliced and seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper (my Great-Aunty Syb would always sprinkle tomatoes with a tiny bit of sugar - nobody ever guessed why her tomato sandwiches were so good - I do it too)
Red capsicum - finely sliced
Cucumber - finely sliced
Red onion - finely sliced
long red chilli - seeds discarded, sliced longways - as finely as possible
Coriander leaves



Build the salad, starting with avocado on the bottom, then top with tomato, capsicum etc - sprinkle coriander leaves as you go

Dressing
1 tsp caster sugar
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp fresh orange juice
60 ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp ground cumin
dash of Tabasco
freshly ground black pepper
Shake it all together to dissolve sugar - add more lime juice if necessary.
Spoon the dressing generously over the salad. Feel virtuous as you eat well :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you have been unwell. I hope you are feeling good now. Salad looks real good.