Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Tomatoes.... or should that be TOMATOES!

Every year, the Silver Fox asks me "How many tomato seeds should I plant?" and every year I say "Seven".
Every year he ignores me.
So, each year we have a glut. And I make sauce.

EVERLASTING TOMATO SAUCE

3kg tomatoes - chopped
1kg unpeeled apples - chopped
1kg unpeeled onions - chopped
3 cloves garlic
100g common salt
750g brown sugar
30g allspice berries
30g whole cloves
7 cups vinegar (the original recipe calls for malt vinegar, but I can't have that so I use cider vinegar)


Tip allspice berries and cloves into a piece of muslin and tie with string.
Add to the pot with all other ingredients and simmer at least 4 hours.
Remove spice bag and whizz all other ingredients in a food processor.
Bottle.
Do not cut down on spices or on cooking time.

No comments: