Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Braised Oxtail in Ginger and Mirin

1.5kg oxtail
1/2 cup fresh ginger - cut into matchstick lengths
1/2 gluten-free Tamari (or light soy sauce)
1/4 cup sake
1/4 cup mirin
1 cup gluten-free beef stock (I use the Massel brand)

Fry the oxtail in a little oil to brown.
Transfer the meat to a slow cooker.
Fry the ginger until fragrant.
Add the ginger to the slow cooker along with the soy, sake, mirin and stock.
Cook until the oxtail is meltingly tender - how long this takes will depend on if you use the High or Low setting on your slow cooker. Check it every now and then - you want there to be plenty of sauce, so you may need to add more stock.
 You can cook this dish very, very gently in a covered casserole - you will need to use about 3 cups of stock. Don't try to cook the oxtail quickly - they just get tough and that's not nice.

3 comments:

Bodacious Boomer said...

We had braised ox tails at least once a month in the winter when I was growing up. They are sooo good; but I bet I haven't had them in 30 years.

Kath (My Funny Little Life) said...

I've never had ox tails, but I love Japanese flavors! :)

Craig said...

That sounds really lovely. I love oxtail in the slow cooker but I never thought of trying it with ginger and mirin. Thanks!